Civil Defence & Emergency Management Training
SARINZ offer a wide range of training options to the Civil Defence and Emergency Management sector. Training is available through several mechanisms:
- "Fee-free" for approved courses and CDEM volunteers who meet the funding criteria.
- User-pays for those who do not meet the funding criteria.
- Mixed delivery using a combination of the two options above (fee-free and user-pays).
- Full user-pays for all training outside of the approved MCDEM scope.
To be eligible for fee-free training, participants must be endorsed by their EMO and meet all of the MCDEM funding criteria.
Flood Safety and Flood Response
Course one is aimed at those people required to work in, or in proximity to, flood waters and provides the minimum safety training to keep individuals and peers safe. Completion of NZQA Unit 22298 is an entry requirement for the Flood Response course (NZQA Unit 22297).
Course two is for people who are required to provide initial response to flood incidents and covers the requirements of Unit 22297. This course provides the participant with an overview of flood incident management in the New Zealand context as well as a range of flood control methods.
General Rescue and USAR Awareness
Possessing knowledge of the CDEM general rescue functions, PPE and safety awareness, supported by ground level search and rescue skills, forms the core requirement of all Response Team activities. Approved Responders may also be required to provide search, rescue or recovery assistance post event. This course is specifically targeted towards all of these tasks at both ends of the spectrum.
Persons who successful complete all aspects of the course will gain the following NZQA Unit Standards:
- 7317 Demonstrate knowledge of the civil defence emergency management (CDEM) general rescue function. Level 2, 2 Credits.
- 10618 Rescue casualties using rescue techniques. Level 4, 5 Credits.
- 18516 Demonstrate knowledge of, and provide support at, urban search and rescue operations. Level 3, 3 Credits.
- 20473 Rescue casualties at ground level using Civil Defence general rescue techniques. Level 2, 3 Credits.
- 24500 Demonstrate knowledge of, and use, CDEM rescue equipment and techniques, and rescue casualties at height. Level 4, 4 Credits.
Rescue from Heights
- 17600 Explain safe work practices for working at heights. Level 3, 3 Credits.
- 24500 Demonstrate knowledge of, and use, CDEM rescue equipment and techniques, and rescue casualties at height Level 4, 4 Credits.
Storm Response Operations
- 23694 Undertake storm damage operations in a CDEM emergency. Level 3, 4 Credits.
NOTE: Contains pre-requisites as entry criteria.